Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Accepted for Publication: Francesca Romano '14

     In the summer of 2012, I participated in the Summer Scholars Program at Siena working as a research assistant for Dr. Bannon.  Our project examined the results of Dr. David Vella’s article, “Explicit Formulas for Bernoulli and Euler Numbers,” and extended the formulas in Vella’s article to the multivariable setting. At the end of the project, I wrote an article reporting the results of my summer research, titled “More Explicit Formulas for Bernoulli and Euler Numbers,” which was recently accepted for publication to Involve, a refereed journal of mathematics.

     This past summer, I participated in the Summer Mathematics Institute at Cornell University. I spent eight weeks at Cornell taking an advanced undergraduate course in abstract algebra, participating in daily project sessions geared towards encouraging mathematics research, and attending daily lectures from guest speakers. I was able to meet and talk with the guest speakers over dinner, many of whom are well-known in the mathematics community. The SMI program gave me the opportunity to network with professionals in my field, fine-tune my scientific writing skills, and experience the rigorous demands of graduate school.

-Francesca Romano '14

For the full newsletter visit the CURCAnews Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment